Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Persona Though Lantern Slides

(#63)
So, who's that, you say? I wish I could tell ya', partner. Truth is I don't even know. All I know is that I'm a pretty simple fella', run shipments to the east every so often. We keep lotsa' boxes down in the hull but I couldn't tell you what's in 'em. I'm a loyal worker, see? I just get the job done and ask the questions later. That was until I got distracted by this pretty little flower. I don't know 'er, but I know they don't make women like this stateside. First set eyes on her 'bout five months ago. I was carryin' this box of something to one of the fisheries when I spotted her. She's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in my whole life. Beautiful enough that I dropped whatever was in the box. I broke it. Captain said I was discharged and officially outta' work. So, now I'm going back to the land of the risin' sun. I gotta' find this lass and make her mine. I hope I find 'er. Got no job and all my money was dropped on gettin' here. God help me.

(#49)

It was somethin' outta' Huckleberry Finn or at least somethin' similar. This was snapped just moments after he dropped us off in this freakin' place. Except he didn't just take off immediately. I mean, how could he really? What, with that sorry excuse for an oar in his hand. Nah, he was just fishin'. Some modest fishin' if you ask me, though. Get this guy a proper paddle and a net so he can put something other than a bowl a' rice on the table. Don't even get me started on that dome cover. What is that? Looks to me like a salad bowl breedin' with a sun hat. Foolish, foolish people. Sunset sure is a beaut. In fact, this whole place is a pretty thing. Not so steamy and the airs' got less bugs flappin' around.

(#77)

Climbed up here to get my barrins'. Been awhile since we stopped in this port. Fella' who I showed the picture to said she played some sport but he didn't know where the court was. My translator, and my picture guy I suppose, did all the talkin'. Don't get the wrong idea, I don't speak a lick of whatever you'd call those silly noises. The land here is a sight if you couldn't already tell. Walkin' though the town felt cramped as the circles a hell, lemmie tell ya. Out west we like to place our stuff nice an' even. These folks treat their estates like they were bricks, one goin' on top of the other. Nature out here feels good, airs' clean. I was able to spot what looked like a basketball court in the westward corner of the place. Guess I'll start walkin'. Hope this is the right place.

(#64)

Oh, doggy. My girls' and athlete, too! Me and my buddy here just watched 'em all play for a little while. Thought my heart was gonna' blow up right outta' my chest. camera guy here, I saw his eyes shiftin' all around, but I only watched her. I knew she was the one. This aint' the normal sport watchin' crowd I'm used to back home. I can't quite think of the word I'm lookin' to describe it... encourageized? That aint' a word. Hmm, maybe just everyone takes less of a issue with cheerin' on the other team. Seems to me like they just havin' fun out there. Enough 'bout the team, tough. I'm about to meet my lovely bride - I just know it! I saw her dodge out to one of the buildings and she nere' came out. What's she doin' in there? Maybe her house? Now's my chance I suppose...

(#66)

Now, I'm pretty sure if you were around you'd be able to hear my very own heart snap. I slid aside that door, proud as a lion and found these two just layin' there. She ain't gonna' love me now. Hell, she doesn't even like my flavor a human! That's a doggone female layin' next to my woman! Who's a female! I wasn't sure if I felt mad, confused, or just heartbroken. They were just sleepin' there... so I told my guy to snap a snappy for later. That way I could at least see her face one last time. I wanted to wake 'er up just so she'd notice me but I let her sleep. I was a little freaked out, too. I slid the door closed and wandered around town, not sure where to go next...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to create a southern inspired, more or less "simple" minded man who was driven by lust. I figured that this would allow him to have a reason to be curious about the environment while still maintaining a highly critical color of speech. He's impulsive and not very perceptive. In fact, if I met this slate in real life I'd probably think he was pretty boring. I don't think he likes Japan, just it's women. So, basically he's just interested in what he can gain from the east, ultimately. This was pretty fun, though!

1 comment:

  1. Hey,
    I really loved the images you chose. They were very beautiful and drew me into your post. As for your persona, I think you did a great job cause he sounded frikken creepy as hell hahaha. I think it was really entertaining to read and I could tell that he was interested in just seeing pretty things but not really wanting to get into the culture. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete